Stretching and Conditioning

Welcome to the Wudang Academy! Forums Online Training Program Stretching and Conditioning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mre3235
    Participant

Hello Master Ziji, I am a new student to the Wudang online Academy but have been studying Yang style taiji for the last 18 years in the United States. I am hoping to add to my learning here. One thing that interests me is the process or order of practice. I have reviewed all of the videos you have posted on the site for stretching and strength training as the initial step into the system and methods.

In terms of practice, is there a particular order in which these exercises should be done? I note that the earlier videos depict various stretching exercises and the last video presents the combined mobility practices that involve dynamic stretching, kicking, and stance work.

Secondarily, is there a warm-up routine used in the traditional wudang practice. In the Yang system under my teacher practice begins with a head to toe warmup that involves mostly circling the joints and loosening the connective tissue. Very light stretching of the hips and legs, then we do standing meditation, move into qigong, then into practice of the Yang Long Form. I don’t see a video of a warmup in the wudang process such as the loosening up joint circling exercises.

Lastly, I am 58 years old and am curious whether the process would be different for a person who is older and whether any of the exercises should be adapted, eliminated, or approached with caution.

Humbly,
    Martin Ebelhardt

Hello! We just came back from two weeks’ holidays, I am sorry for the late reply.

First, I recommend starting with Wu Xing Qi Gong – which basically is fascia stretching and posture strengthening. Ba Duan Jin Qi Gong can be used after the first month of training for opening joints. Chin-to-toe stretching is also beneficial indeed. Let me know how your experience with Qi Gong is! It basically is what you are looking for – it will make you stronger and more elastic while practicing postures.

Lastly, about your question about age:
    Yes, you should practice with caution, and starting with Qi Gong is really the best way considering your age. But do not make the mistake and think that you are unable to do things because your age is slightly higher. In my experience, older students practice more effectively in general; it is the experience with their own body and mind that makes up a lot.

Let me know if you have more questions, I believe I answered them 🙂 Be cautious, let it take effect, and really start with intense Qi Gong training.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.